December 1, 2011

Insert Coin: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who dislikes Scott Pilgrim (does not equal Michael Cera). He's the star of a fantastic movie, game, and comic book series that garnered just enough of a following to be relevant without being series-ruining popular (see-- Star Wars). Still, by accepting everything Scott touches as gold, we become the evil-exes we so hoped to defeat... so I gave this XBLA game a replay.


Some Notes-- It's always better to be Ramona than Scott, it's pretty much the moral of the series. She's just overall better in game and despite how much I wanted to identify myself with Scott, I ended up maxing Ramona first and thoroughly enjoyed some advanced hammer antics. That being said, Steven Stills and Kim are pretty much the Wario and Donkey Kong of the bunch meaning whoever ends up playing them are probably the second class citizens of the particular group you happen to be playing with. 2D beat-em-up has never described a game better because Scott strikes with all the accuracy of a thread trying to strike another thread. Unless he is lined up perfectly with an enemy, he will only end up kicking the air's ass.

This seems familiar...
I also seem to be having some issues with high-leveled characters. That doesn't seem like an issue, but whenever I want to play with my non-sociopathic friends, they're stuck wizzing with a level one Ramona while I murder everything with my level eight-million Kim. I guess it's further incentive to download Knives as a character (which I already planned to do...).

I'd also like to mention that the evil-exes haven't really stood a chance against me. Maybe I'm just really good or my love for Ramona is motivating me, but Nega-Scott and Gideon both caused significant trouble for me. I'm probably just not a "finest-hour" kind of guy.

Concluding Thoughts: Todd Ingram is the best... in everything.

He's a rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment